Thursday, July 26, 2007

x3200 Extension

It was 8:30 PM tonight when I finally finished my dictations in the office and was ready to go home. I was tired and hungry. It has been almost a week since I came back from my trip to Italy but I am still partially on Italy time- 9 hours ahead. As I was walking toward the door my beeper goes off. I glanced at the little display and noticed the dreaded x3200 ER extension. I put my briefcase down and called.

"Oh, thanks for calling," the ER doc replied.
"There is a patient here with diarrhea for 3 days and came in tonight with severe abdominal pain. The abdominal x-ray showed.."

"Wait, wait," I cut him off mid-sentence, "Are you looking for a cardiologist?"
"No... aren't you the general surgeon on-call tonight?" the ER doc replied.

"Well, I think you have the wrong guy. I am a cardiologist." I said it with a very cheerful voice and with a very large smile on my face.

Walking out of the office, I felt rejuvenated.

No comments: